Monday, June 28, 2010

Saturday Adventure: Christian Valley to Boggy Peak

Bogey Peak (Mount Obama) is the highest point in Antigua.  Higher than the killer McNish.  The group on this hick was small compared to the usual gathering, non the less, it was still a good time.  I think most people figured it would rain and be mucky because there was a heavy downpour the previous evening.  Well! Not a single drop, nada, zilch, zero....but I digress.  However, it was mucky.
As usual, we start off together and end up in disjointed groups or singles.  For a while, I was walking by myself and could see the back of one hiker ever so often.  At one point I had a very nice hiking buddy, thank goodness, cause he helped me maneuver some rocks as well as very muddy areas.  But at one point, I was ahead of him and I got too far ahead of him. 

Being by myself, I had time to listen to the water fall (in this dry island with low rainfall), check out the bamboo trees, and just have a time of tranquility.  Other times, I was busy pretending I was in the jungle trying to survive and make my way out (bad movie).
 The trail led to a paved road which was the final route to the top.  This is where my buddy caught up with me.  Company is always good.  There were some areas I had to careful to sidestep the moss to avoid the end result of falling.
 When we got to the top, we were required to "touch the fence" as the rite of passage.
 
Being the highest point of the island, it is also where they are antennas and what not.  Although the very top was fenced in, I was happy to make it, and chat up new friends while waiting for the stragglers to make it!

I must say, the best part was coming down.  Going up required leg power and holding on to trees.  coming down required holding on to the same trees but trying not to end up on your butt because of the mud.  One lady fell on her butt twice, of course we laughed, but she was not hurt.
At the end of it all, every one sat down at picnic benches and enjoyed the fruits of the earth and a nice chat up.